Sunday, September 25, 2011

Things I've Noticed

   
This is just a random list about things here, that I’ve noticed, that are different from the U.S.


·      The sirens on the ambulances here are SO LOUD AND SHRILL! I thought the ones in Germany were bad, but no no these are the worst. I can’t even describe it. Idk maybe youtube it or something? You’ll get what I’m talking about.

·      Italians have no sense of personal space. I’m not saying this in a negative way, I’m just pointing out a cultural difference. For example if you are walking on a crowded sidewalk and you bump into someone, you would say excuse me. Here, if someone bumps into you, they just keep going like it doesn’t matter. Or if the sidewalk is real crowded, they won’t move. Instead, you’d just bump into them and it wouldn’t bother them. Interesting.

·      When you buy fruit from the store you have to put on a plastic throwaway glove when picking out your fruit. I kinda like that, less germs. Then you have to weigh and price the fruit on your own before paying for it at checkout.

·      Most dressing rooms here have the mirror outside of the dressing room. Hate that shit. It’s like okayyy I wanna try something on before I buy it because I’m unsure of how it looks. So since I’m unsure of how it looks, why are you going to make me step OUTSIDE of the dressing room to see how something looks….and also have everyone outside the room give me a little look? #annoying.

·      Europeans have B.O. issues. It’s nast.

·      Wanna know where many Italian teens hang out an eat? McDonalds! Always packed wit dem localllsss. Maybe I should join!? :)

·      Sometimes in stores they are weird about you touching shit or trying stuff on.

·      Carrying change at home is annoying. Here its not because coins have more value. I like that.

·      Paper is different here. It’s the same width, but it’s a few inches longer. So the folders and notebooks I bought from home are a no go.

·      Diet Coke here is called, Cola Light. It doesn’t taste like Diet Coke from home. It’s better. Taste more like regular coke. U.S. should get on that formula.

·      Lotsa people in my program are tweaking out because their online Netflix accounts don’t work. Hulu doesn’t work here either. Gotta watch all my shows on sketchy sites.

·      When you go to the store, if you want a plastic baggie for your stuff it costs extra. Not much, like 10 cents or something but still.

·      Electronics that we all have in the U.S. are way more expensive and a bigger deal here. My cute little finance professor was explaining that by the end of the year she will hopefully have enough money (that she’s been setting aside) for an ipod. She’s so excited about it. It’s funny because all of us in the class all have ipods or have had multiple.

·      I mentioned in my very first post that, I will miss peanut butter. I was right about that. They seriously don’t have that stuff here. It’s all about the nutella, which is fine…but I don’t like hazelnut. Italians don’t know what they’re missing! Peanut butter gelato would be to die for!!


Those are my observations that I have made thus far. I am sure this list will grow throughout the semester.


2 comments:

  1. I prefer their sirens. Here we have the Doppler Effect.

    Did you find that book we discussed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you but.. Diet coke?!?! REALLY?

    ReplyDelete